CMS is short for content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made CMS the most popular Web site choice for people and companies with lots of articles.
What's a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don't have to.
What are some real world examples of CMS websites?
CMS is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
- Corporate Web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business Web sites
- Non-profit and organizational Web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and church Web sites
- Personal or family homepages
Who uses CMS?
Here are just a few examples of Web sites that use Joomla:
- MTV Networks Quizilla (Social networking) - http://www.quizilla.com
- IHOP (Restaurant chain) - http://www.ihop.com
- Harvard University (Educational) - http://gsas.harvard.edu
- Citibank (Financial institution intranet) - Not publicly accessible
- The Green Maven (Eco-resources) - http://www.greenmaven.com
- Outdoor Photographer (Magazine) - http://www.outdoorphotographer.com
- PlayShakespeare.com (Cultural) - http://www.playshakespeare.com
- Senso Interiors (Furniture design) - http://www.sensointeriors.co.za
More examples of companies using Joomla can be found in the Joomla Community Site Showcase.
I'm not technical. How easy is it to maintain my website?
How can I be sure there will be support in the future?Our CMS structures are designed to be easy to modify and set up even if you're not an advanced user. You can add, edit or delete your content with ease using your normal browser!
The software we use is the most popular open source CMS currently available as evidenced by a vibrant and growing community of friendly users and talented developers. The roots roots go back to 2000 and, with over 200,000 community users and contributors, the future looks bright for the award-winning CMS Project.